The Meditation Mind is currently “under construction” but is meant to be a large portal for meditation-related websites. I was asked by founder Scott Desgrosseilliers to test it, even though the site is not yet finished.
It’s a good idea to test your site even before it’s launched so that problems can be fixed before customers see them.
- Sign up for the monthly club.
- Sign up for the newsletter.
- Buy products.
Watch the usability test video:
Video summary and suggestions:
- The overall look of the site is a bit amateurish. It could be more modern. Don’t assume that because I like meditation, I want to see a “new age,” old fashioned design.
- The color scheme is wrong: brown and purple really don’t work together.
- The image text in the middle is hard to read and because it’s an image, can’t be enlarged.
- The logo should be on the left; the tag line should under it.
- Re-think the tag line.
- The word “Search” next to the search box is too small and in the wrong font.
Sign up for the monthly club
- I can’t find a prominent “Join the club” button, even though it’s the first — and most important — task.
- The button should really be on the top right of the page.
- The monthly club doesn’t seem to exist yet; the page is currently empty.
Sign up for newsletter
- I found the newsletter easily…
- … and I signed up easily.
- Is the newsletter only about meditation myths? I’d like to see a wider range of content.
- It would be great to see a few newsletter examples before I sign up.
- After adding an item to the cart, I receive an error prompt, not the cart.
- The shopping cart has a “discount” and a “gift voucher.” There should be just one option.
- The shipping drop down menu is not showing all the words.
- After I choose a shipping method, I receive another “error” message telling me to choose a shipping method again.
- Because the drop down menu is too small, it appears that I didn’t select anything. Make the drop down “not fixed size.”
- “Clear cart” should be on the left — if used at all.
- “Get quote” should be removed.
- The only button I should see here is the “checkout” button.
- The form looks long because each field has its own line.
- “Required” should be marked by a red asterisk, not a dot.
- The default title should not be “DR.” It’s better to provide an option to choose nothing or the most common title.
- The shipping address should be mandatory.
- Auto-fill doesn’t complete the zip code or the phone number.
- The check box “Same as shipping” is missing in the billing address.
- Nothing happens when I click the SSL image.
- Paypal payment doesn’t work.
- When I click on “Return to merchant,” I return to the checkout page. If I need to try a different payment method, then please make sure all the information is pre-completed.